Solar Shingles, Are They Really Worth It?

Photo courtesy of Tesla

Tesla has done it again. The sexy, cutting-edge, tech company has come out with a product called Solar Tiles, also known as Solar Shingles. This revolutionary product will pave the way for sustainable energy to become the next home-design trend. The 8.65”x14” tiles currently come in two different styles, textured and smooth; the website also shows the two new designs being released next year. How does it work? Glad you asked… The solar tiles are strategically placed all over a home’s roof to maximize sun exposure. The light from the sun is converted into power that is then transported into a Powerwall, or assumedly any other battery system, where the surplus energy is stored. The energy is stored in the Powerwall to guarantee uninterrupted electricity even during bad weather.

Photo courtesy of Tesla

The nice thing about Tesla is that their website allows you to input your address, square-footage, and current electricity bill amount. They use all that information to calculate the percentage of solar tiles you would need, how much it will cost (whether you pay for it all upfront or you finance it), and how much it will save you per month and over the period of 30 years. Now, you may be wondering, “if I only need 40% of my roof covered in solar tiles won’t you be able to notice a difference in tiles?” Tesla has already thought of that. The roof will be made with the same style as whatever tile you select and the remaining 60% of the roof would be covered in tempered glass tiles. Now you’re also probably thinking, “glass tiles don’t sound like they have a long lifespan”. Once again, Tesla is one step ahead of us. These tiles come with a lifetime warranty, and they have proven to be 3 times stronger than standard glass tiles. Tesla’s website has a video of a 2-inch hailstone being thrown at the tiles at 100mph, the other tiles break instantly and the Solar Tile is completely unharmed.

Photo courtesy of Tesla

Now, as all Tesla products are pricey, this one is no different. I can use my home as an example. It’s 2 stories, 3,500 square feet, 5,000 roof square footage, and has an average electricity bill of $280. The overall price for my home would be $132,500, which includes 3 Powerwalls installed in my home and 50% of my roof covered in solar tiles. However, Tesla has it set up to where, not only do you receive a tax credit, but you can finance through your monthly home mortgage payment. For my house, I would receive a $36,900 tax credit and $490 monthly loan payment. If you’re depressed because of the sticker price, I’ll share with you the calculator’s savings estimation. I would save $259 a month over 30 years and $93,300 total for 30 years. Overall, I would most likely break even, considering the cost and the savings put together.

Compare that to a standard solar array, to completely offset my usage it would likely cost around $40,000 before tax incentives. Also keep in mind that because my usage is a little higher than average, I’m having to install a system that is a good bit larger than the average installation in North Alabama.

So, are Solar Tiles worth it? We’re voting no. But only for now. And only because of the price. If Tesla’s performance from the introduction of the Model S to the Model 3 is any indication, Solar Tiles could be a harbinger for much cheaper, mass market products.

You may also like

Leave a comment

2 × five =